Monday, May 18, 2009

I'm Really Not a Snob...

I realized I had a problem when I noticed that my car seat / stroller matched my Michael Kors wallet. Really, I am not a snob - I just love children's things, especially strollers and gear. I do believe in quality gear and doing as much research as possible. I find myself researching strollers constantly and staring down models wherever I go. I always want to ask other moms how they like their stroller and what the pros / cons are of that particular stroller. I have 5 strollers myself and am tempted to buy 2 more! I will run down my list of strollers, because they each serve a purpose. The other 2 that I would like to buy are both double strollers, since now we have a new addition to the family! Stay tuned for my adventures in stroller shopping!

1. Stroller number 1: Baby Trend Snap N' Go
Price: $59.99 (Babies R Us)
What I love: I love just about everything. The cup holders, basket, compartment, ease of use and especially the fact that it works with several car seats.
What I don't love: The belt that secures the stroller to the car seat. It's a little awkward at times and sometimes touches the baby. Also, this item isn't great if you have 2 little ones that are different ages.
Recommend it? Absolutely!! I tell everyone about this stroller - it's a must have for the first 4 - 5 months, or however long you use the infant car seat. Also comes in a double version for moms of twins.

2. Stroller number 2: Peg Perego Pliko P3
Price: approximately $329.00 (purchased in 2007)
What I love: Awesome choices of color (mine is Soleo, AKA orange), sturdy, great canopy, nice snack tray, washable fabric. The Prima Viaggio car seat snaps in and both canopies meet to cover the baby entirely.
What I don't love: Hard to open / close, a touch on the heavy side, cannot steer with one hand, basket is hard to get anything in and lack of cupholders. (They give you some clip-on ones, but they aren't great). Also, doesn't recline flat.
Recommend it? Even though I receive thousands of compliments on how cool this stroller is, I would personally recommend shopping around for other strollers. You might be able to get all the "loves" from a stroller in this price range. My tall friends say that this particular stroller has handles that are too short.

3. Stroller number 3: Maclaren Quest Mod
Price: approximately $275 (purchased in 2008)
What I love: Love the fabric, easy open / close, reclines in to different positions, lightweight
What I don't love: can "tip" if child isn't in the stroller and your bag is hanging over the handles, small canopy, no snack tray, child's legs dangle and basket is impossible to put anything in!
Recommend it? Not really. It was expensive for a glorified umbrella stroller.

4. Stroller number 4: Maclaren Mac3 Jog Stroller
Price: approximately $299 (received as a gift)
What I love: Great fabric, nice rubber tires, smooth ride, roomy for child, nice footrest for child, reclines, nice canopy, great handles, has pockets on the backside of canopy, roomy basket and has hand brake. Also, it's a different jogging stroller, I have never seen one in any stores!
What I don't love: not easy to fold up, heavy and cumbersome (not good to travel with) and no rotating front wheel. Also, had to get this "tuned up" - alignment seemed off.
Recommend it? Not really. I would go for a Bob or something that folds down more easily and had a front wheel that swivels.


5. Stroller number 5: Kolcraft Contours Tandem Double Stroller
Price: $219 (Babies R Us)
What I love: It's a tandem stroller, so it isn't wide like a side-by-side stroller. Basket is AWESOME and just huge. Love the 2 cupholders and compartment. Nice handle for steering. Seats can face each other or in the same direction and recline. Also, comes with infant car seat frame. I read the reviews before getting this stroller and they were very positive!
What I don't love: It's still large - I can't see what my 2 year old is doing in the front. (i.e. stealing a Tootsie Roll stick from Hallmark). The frame is a little heavy and awkward. The seats snap in / out and takes a little while to assemble / disassemble.
Recommend it? Maybe. As I mentioned, I like the width. The assembly is a little time consuming and that is the biggest negative about this stroller.

No comments:

Post a Comment